Sunday, December 18, 2016

Service Dec. 2016

My father passed away in 2004 almost 13 years ago.  I can’t go to my dad any more for advice or counsel but I find myself doing things that my father did and that helps me remember him.  My dad always  picked up pennies, so now when I pick up a penny I remember him., that’s not much but I always stop and pick up pennies and I remember my dad and I feel closer to him….Or when I work on my car, my dad was an auto mechanics teacher at Viewmont and WX High..he taught auto mechanics and math, so if I work on my car, or if I have a chance to help one of my kids with their math homework…..when I do I feel closer to my dad.  My dad loved to drive and when I get  in my car and go on a long drive I feel closer to my dad. If I need help that I would have normally gone to him for I get in my car and I go on a drive. 

For me remembering can be a daily occurrence. I was humbly taught a lesson last year as I was going over some thoughts for another talk.  My wife's father was in end stage kidney failure and was only going to be with us for a few weeks.    It was a very time consuming period of life as we attended to this sweet mans needs.  It had been a busy day, and Around 9:00 pm I had finally been able to finish the things I had to do for the day and had just gotten on a roll in figuring out how to put my thoughts together when my cell phone rang.  It was my wife asking if I could come down to her dad's house to help get him ready for bed.  My initial natural man reaction was not one I am proud of.  I agreed to come down but the tone of my voice was not what it should have been.  Then I remembered.  I remembered how much I love my father in law. I remembered King Benjamin's words - when ye are in the service of your fellow beings  ye are only in the service of your God. So by the time I got to his house my attitude had  changed and I was grateful for the opportunity  to serve this great man.

Mosiah 5:13 ​For how ​​​knoweth​ a man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the thoughts and intents of his heart?

I remembered the parable of the sheep and the goats:
Matthew 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his ​​​right hand​, Come, ye ​​​blessed​ of my Father, ​​​inherit​ the ​​​kingdom​ prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
​​​​​35 ​For I was an ​​​hungered​, and ye ​​​gave​ me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a ​​​stranger​, and ye took me in:
​​​​​36 ​Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye ​​​visited​ me: I was in ​​​prison​, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

Or when saw we thee needing help getting into bed - or sitting alone in Sacrament Meeting or Sunday School - or needing help studying - or waiting on the other side of the veil for someone to do your temple work - or feeling like you had no friends, or whatever need we all have that we are longing to have filled.

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Spencer W Kimball said - God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs.

I think about that a lot.   I used to sit up on the stand at meetings and look out at the congregation and think  isn’t it great to belong to a church where we are all brothers  and sisters and I would think to myself, “if I was stranded  two  hours away, at 2 o’clock in the morning, who could I call that I know  would come and help me?”..and I could count over 100 people who I could call that would get out of bed in the middle of the night, in the cold and come and help me.   But then I thought, I’m asking myself the wrong question.   I should be asking myself how many of those people in that congregation, if they called me at 2 o clock in the  middle of the night  would I get up and out of bed for?..  That’s the question we should ask.

Neal A. Maxwell (Quorum of the Twelve)
The same God that placed that star
 in a precise orbit millennia before it
 appeared over Bethlehem in celebration
 of the birth of the Babe has given at
 least equal attention to placement of
 each of us in precise human orbits
so that we may, if we will, illuminate
 the landscape of our individual lives,
 so that our light may not only lead
 others but warm them as well.


Think about who you may be in orbit around, people you come in contact with, how can you light their lives?  I would submit to you just as I do things that my earthly father  did to remember him, when we do things that the Savior did we will remember him and we will draw closer to him.
 So what does he ask of us?  The primary song "He sent His son" which says - what does the Father ask of us?  What do the scriptures say? Have faith, have hope, Live like His Son. Help others on their way.

In John 14:12 we read - Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do;

3 Nephi 27:27  - Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am.

How do we do the works the Savior did - How do we become even as he is?
The document the living Christ tells us this about the Him.

"He walked the roads of Palestine, healing the sick, causing the blind to see, and raising the dead. He taught the truths of eternity, the reality of our premortal existence, the purpose of our life on earth, and the potential for the sons and daughters of God in the life to come.
He instituted the sacrament as a reminder of His great atoning sacrifice."


So if we are supposed to do the things the savior did and be even as he is, how do we do that?  How do we do the things he did? We cannot literally do everything the Savior did, but we can use his life as a type. He walked the roads of Palestine - He went out and looked for opportunities to serve.  We can do that - we can walk our neighborhoods and pay attention wherever we are for opportunities to serve.

ON Friday we had that big snow storm, it started as rain, then hail, and snow and it was heavy.  We live on the east bench of Bountiful.  I went home for a late lunch about 2:30 in the afternoon, and I thought I’m just going to try to get  some of this heavy snow off my driveway. I would go about 18 inches in the snow and then have to take it over to the grass and dump it.   We put in new concrete this spring..we added more concrete which was great when I didn’t have to mow it, but now I had to shovel double..and these two young boys walked up the street, I didn’t know them, , they walked past my house and they were staring at me, giving me a weird look, and they got about half way past my neighbors house and they turned around and came  back and said, ‘hey you have a couple of extra shovels?  We can help you with that.”   And my initial reaction was, “no I’m fine.  Thanks for the offer, but I’m fine, “ and they started to walk away and the Spirit said, call them back and give them an opportunity to serve.  You know sometimes it’s easier for us to give service than it is to receive service.  The  Atonement is all about receiving, it’s all about receiving this gift from our Savior.  We get that opportunity a lot in our lives and I think we  do ourselves a disservice if we don’t accept service.  So I said, “you know what, I do have two extra shovels and I would love  to have you come and help me clear my driveway.”   These two boys -- they could take about 6 inches of that snow before they had to dump it, but I loved that they helped me clear my driveway.


Healing the Sick - We can do this - both through the Priesthood and through compassionate service.  Through sitting with someone at the hospital.  Through listening and healing someone emotionally. 

Causing the blind to see - We may not have the opportunity to give literal sight to the blind, but we can help others see Christ through our example and service.

And Raising the Dead - We can't universally overcome death, but we can make our relationships and our families live. We can give life to our church calling, to our ward and neighborhood.

He Taught the Truths of Eternity the reality of our pre mortal existence, the purpose of our life on earth, and the potential for the sons and daughters of God in the life to come. - One of the great acts of service we can participate in is teaching others about the plan of salvation - but just as important is the service we can give ourselves of receiving a testimony of this plan and of who we are.  Who are we?  This is one of my favorite quotes by President Boyd K Packer:

You are a child of God. He is the father of your spirit. Spiritually you are of noble birth, the offspring of the King of Heaven. Fix that truth in your mind and hold to it. However many generations in your mortal ancestry, no matter what race or people you represent, the pedigree of your spirit can be written on a single line. You are a child of God!

He Instituted the Sacrament as a reminder of his great Atoning Sacrifice

We can't suffer for the sins of the world, but we can not judge someone just because their sins may be different than ours.  We can't affect an infinite atonement, but we can forgive those who have wronged us or offended us, and we can forgive infinitely.

I served my mission in Argentina in 198s..and there was some Faulkland islands that England and Argentina were fighting over…the Faulkland war. We got all kinds of threats to missionaries, we had to stay in our apartments, we had death threats.  It wasn’t a real fun time to be their fro a few weeks and we thought what could we do to help change people’s opinions? So we came up with an idea as a zone that we would  get everyone together and we would go donate blood at the local red cross  for Argentine soldiers, and so we did that and some how word got out to the media  and  I had the opportunity to speak to the newspaper and the radio.  They asked why would you do this? You are American’s ? Why would you come and give blood for Argentine soldiers?”  It was a great opportunity for us to  testify of Jesus Christ and say that he gave his own blood for us……and that we were his representatives and that we love the Argentine people.

 Service changes us.  It brings us closer to the Savior both in giving service and in receiving service.

 In the Living Christ it also says, of our Savior…

He will rule as King of Kings and reign as Lord of Lords, and every knee shall bend and every tongue shall speak in worship before Him. Each of us will stand to be judged of Him according to our works and the desires of our hearts.


Jesus is the Living Christ, the immortal Son of God. He is the great King Immanuel, who stands today on the right hand of His Father. He is the light, the life, and the hope of the world. His way is the path that leads to happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come. God be thanked for the matchless gift of His divine Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment